Teacher Trainings 2014
Yoga for Adults with Special Needs
This in-depth two day course gives students the tools to make yoga’s therapeutic benefits accessible to adults with various special needs. It also highlights the importance of creating a caring and inclusive environment where self-esteem and well-being are looked after.
You will learn how to structure and plan classes for both high functioning adults and those less-abled such as non-ambulatory individuals, through the use of Chair Yoga. You will also learn how to work effectively with care staff to create a comfortable group dynamic, assisting you to be an adaptable and knowledgeable special needs yoga teacher.
About the Tutor
Richard Kravetz has been practicing yoga for over 25 years and teaching yoga to adults and children with special needs for 14 years, having qualified with The British Wheel of Yoga in 1994.
Richard is passionate about learning from special people and making yoga accessible to all, this course is a result of his commitment.
Open to yoga teachers, school teachers, occupational therapists, day centre supervisors, support workers, health professionals.
Also open to those working in the social services, colleges, residential homes and anyone working with adults in the special needs arena.
Curriculum will include:
- Working with different groups, both ambulatory and non-ambulatory, such as those with ASD, ADD/ADHD, PDD, anxiety disorder; learning difficulties, motor planning issues, developmental delays and the blind/deaf.
- How to implement a yoga programme to build body awareness
- How basic yoga practice influences and enhances bodily functions
- Understanding how this population often experience anxiety, stress, depression and low self-esteem and offering tools and techniques to alleviate this
- How and why yoga works for these populations
- Exploring how yoga equipment, mudras, mantras and the voice can be utilised effectively
- Adapting traditional yoga postures, breathing techniques, relaxation and visualisations for a specific special need
12th to 13th April
13th to 14th September
09:30 – 16:30
This course offers a formal certificate of attendance.